Towns twinned with Halle
Towns twinned with Halle (Saale)
Partnerships between towns or cities mainly arise through contacts existing between citizens, local politicians, school pupils or institutes.
The town of Halle (Saale) is twinned with the following towns:
1. Linz (Austria) since 1975
2. Oulu (Finland) since 1972
3. Ufa (Bashkortostan) since 1997
4. Karlsruhe (Germany) since 1987
5. Grenoble (France) since 1976
6. Jiaxing (China) since 2009
7. Savannah (Georgia, USA) since 2011
7. Hildesheim (Germany) since 1990
8. Coimbra (Portugal) since 1976
Importance of town twinning
During 1947 with the Second World War as a background, the twinning of the first towns took place on the basis of promoting understanding between nations. The aim and purpose of twinning is the cultural and economic exchange between two towns or communities. In doing so, the size and structure of the town and activities within associations all play a special role. A further objective of twinning is to bring the citizens of the towns together irrespective of their occupation, age or social position.